25088A good friend of mine sent this to me the other day. Which one are you? [Gunnar]

My friend has a saying; Leadership cannot be demanded – only earned and deserved.
With that in mind, has anyone ever told you the difference between a boss and a leader?

1. The boss drives people; the leader coaches them.

2. The boss depends upon authority; the leader on good will.

3. The boss inspires fear; the leader inspires enthusiasm.

4. The boss says ‘I’; the leader says ‘we.’

5. The boss says ‘Get here on time’; the leader gets there ahead of time.

6. The boss fixes the blame for the breakdown; the leader fixes the breakdown.

7. The boss knows how it is done; the leader shows how.

8. The boss makes work a drudgery; the leader makes work a game.

9. The boss says ‘Go’; the leader says ‘Let’s go.’”

10. The boss justifies or lays blame – the leader takes responsibility.

• Read 9 things I learned from working for a half billionaire here.
  • Read 4 things I learned about leadership while running a business here.

Some great books I recommend are… [Gunnar]

Whale Done – Ken Blanchard

The One Thing You Need to Know – Marcus Buckingham

About these ads

9 responses »

1. Jessica says:

That’s a great list…I’m going to send it to my husband…since his job has him in a leadership role.

2. Ziko Mulenga says:

Am helped so much on the difference btwn a boss and a leader, Thanx

3. Abdul Haseeb Dar says:

Great work on differ. b/w boss & leader…..

4. Well done! I enjoyed reading this :) Will be coming back for more!

5. anwanabasi enang says:

I want 2 get note on eed116 enterprenuer

6. Habib oladepo says:

Dat‘s fine. I luv it

7. Richmond Eli says:

Excellent, l will like to get commentaries on difference between a leader and a boss

8. Bob Donnelly says:

I saw a variation of this that I can’t find but to break it down a little farther using a communications model try mapping:
    1. enables people, 2. shares vision, 3. verifies and confirms vision with feedback, 4. seeks and clarifies how the team works, 5. sees breakdowns as opportunities, 6. tries ideas and solutions, 7. rewards poeple, 8. shares credit, 9. supports effort and communication, 10. says thank you and shows appreciation, gratitude.